Opposition Day — Housing — 15 Dec 2015 at 18:51
The majority of MPs voted against Government help for families struggling with the cost of housing, including building more affordable homes to rent and buy.
The motion rejected by the majority of MPs taking part in this vote was:
- That this House
- notes that the Government’s record on housing is one of five years of failure with rising homelessness, falling home-ownership, escalating rents, deep cuts in investment and the lowest level of house-building since the 1920s;
- further notes that the Spending Review and Autumn Statement will not result in the homes that young people and families on ordinary incomes need being built because it cuts the level of investment from that of 2010 and fails to prioritise genuinely affordable homes to rent and buy;
- notes Shelter Scotland's report of September 2015, Affordable Housing Need in Scotland, which states that overall house-building levels are well below their peak in 2007 and that the number of new social homes built has fallen by 44 per cent from 2010 to 2014;
- notes the widespread concern that the Government’s Housing and Planning Bill will lead to the severe loss of affordable homes, will be a let-down for aspiring home-owners, and will do nothing to help England’s private renters struggling with poor conditions and high renting costs; and
- calls on the Government to help families who are struggling with the cost of housing, including by building more affordable homes to rent and buy.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||291 (+2 tell)||0||0||88.8%|
|Lab||0||199 (+2 tell)||0||86.6%|
|Jim Shannon||Strangford||DUP (front bench)||both|