Higher Education and Research Bill — Clause 40 — Authorisation to grant degrees etc — 21 Nov 2016 at 20:30
Oliver Letwin MP, West Dorset voted against requiring the Office for Students to be assured an organisation is able to maintain required standards and operate in students' and the public interest, before authorising it to grant degrees.
The majority of MPs voted against requiring the Office for Students to be assured an organisation is able to maintain required standards and operate in students' and the public interest, before authorising it to grant degrees.
MPs were considering the Higher Education and Research Bill.
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 40, page 23, line 22, at end insert—
- “(c) the OfS is assured that the provider is able to maintain the required standards of a UK degree for the duration of the authorisation; and
- (d) the OfS is assured that the provider operates in students’ and the public interests.”
An explanatory statement accompanying the rejected amendment stated:
- This amendment requires the OfS to be assured about the maintenance of standards and about students’ and the public interest before issuing authorisation to grant degrees.
Had it not been rejected the above additional conditions would have been added to Clause 40 of the Bill which sets out the conditions under which the Office for Students may award authorisations to grant degrees.
Clause 1 of the Bill provides for the establishment of an "Office for Students" (OfS).
-  Parliament's webpage on the Higher Education and Research Bill 2016-17
-  Clause 40 of the Higher Education and Research Bill 2016-17 as at the time of the vote
-  Clause 1 of the Higher Education and Research Bill 2016-17 as at the time of the vote
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||277 (+2 tell)||0||0||85.1%|
|Lab||0||167 (+2 tell)||0||72.8%|