European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill — New Clause 2 — Undertakings Prior to Giving Notice of the UK's Intention to Leave the EU — 8 Feb 2017 at 17:45
Oliver Letwin MP, West Dorset voted against requiring the Prime Minister to give a series of undertakings before giving notification of the United Kingdom's intention to leave the European Union.
The majority of MPs voted against requiring the Prime Minister to give a series of undertakings before giving notification of the United Kingdom's intention to leave the European Union.
MPs were considering the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill.
The proposed new clause rejected in this vote was titled Conduct of negotiations and stated:
- “Before giving any notification under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union, the Prime Minister shall give an undertaking to have regard to the public interest during negotiations in—
- (a) maintaining a stable and sustainable economy,
- (b) preserving peace in Northern Ireland,
- (c) having trading arrangements with the European Union for goods and services that are free of tariff and non-tariff barriers and further regulatory burdens,
- (d) co-operation with the European Union in education, research and science, environment protection, and preventing and detecting serious and organised crime and terrorist activity,
- (e) maintaining all existing social, economic, consumer and workers’ rights.”
The rejected new clause was accompanied by the following explanatory note:
- This new clause sets out statutory objectives that the Government must have regard to whilst carrying out negotiations under article 50.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||322 (+2 tell)||1||0||98.8%|
|Lab||5||215 (+2 tell)||0||96.5%|
|Frank Field||Birkenhead||Lab (minister)||no|
|Kate Hoey||Vauxhall||Lab (minister)||no|
|Kelvin Hopkins||Luton North||Lab (minister)||no|
|Graham Stringer||Blackley and Broughton||Lab (minister)||no|
|Gisela Stuart||Birmingham, Edgbaston||Lab (minister)||no|