Nomination of Members to Committees — 12 Sep 2017 at 22:11
Oliver Letwin MP, West Dorset voted to approve arrangements for nominating members of the House of Commons to committees.
The majority of MPs voted to approve arrangements for nominating members of the House of Commons to committees.
The approved arrangements give the Government a majority on any general committees with an odd number of members, and provide for equal numbers of Government and Opposition MPs on committees with an even number of members.
The motion supported by the majority of MPs in this vote was:
- That notwithstanding the practice of the House in the nomination of Members to committees, the following orders shall have effect for the duration of the present Parliament:
- A: SELECTION COMMITTEE
- (1) There shall be a select committee, to be known as the Selection Committee, to discharge the functions of nomination to committees provided for in the Standing Orders of the House relating to public business and to carry out the functions set out in or by virtue of the provisions of this order.
- (2) The Committee shall consist of nine Members, of whom three shall be a quorum.
- (3) Mr Alan Campbell, David Evennett, Patrick Grady, Andrew Griffiths, Jessica Morden, Christopher Pincher, Julian Smith, Mark Tami and Bill Wiggin shall be members of the Committee.
- (4) The Committee appointed under this order shall be regarded as the Committee of Selection for the purposes of motions for nomination of select committees under 15 paragraph(2)(b)(ii) of Standing Order No. 121 (Nomination of select committees).
- (5) The Committee shall have the power of nomination to and discharge from general committees provided for in Standing Order No. 86 (Nomination of general committees).
- (6) The Committee shall observe the conditions on nominations of public bill committees on a private Member’s bill set out in Standing Order No. 84A (Public bill committees).
- (7) The Committee shall have the power to nominate members to European Committees in Standing Order No. 119 (European Committees).
- (8) The Committee shall have the power of nomination and discharge of members as provided for in bills by a general committee">Standing Order No. 92 (Consideration on report of certain bills by a general committee), Welsh Grand Committee (composition and 25 business)">Standing Order No. 102 (Welsh Grand Committee (composition and 25 business)), Northern Ireland Grand Committee (composition and business)">Standing Order No. 109 (Northern Ireland Grand Committee (composition and business)) and Regional Affairs Committee">Standing Order No. 117 (Regional Affairs Committee).
- (9) The Committee shall have the power of appointment provided for in, or by virtue of, paragraph (8)(a) of England and Wales and being within devolved legislative 30 competence">Standing Order No. 83J (Certification of bills etc. as relating exclusively to England or England and Wales and being within devolved legislative 30 competence), paragraph (4) of Standing Order No. 83P (Certification of instruments) and paragraph (6) of Finance Bill is to be brought in, etc.">Standing Order No. 83U (Certification of motions upon which a Finance Bill is to be brought in, etc.) of two members of the Panel of Chairs to assist the Speaker in certifications.
- (10) The Committee shall have powers to send for persons, papers and records in the 35 execution of its duties.
- (11) The provisions of Private Business Standing Orders shall apply to the Committee established under this order as if the Committee were the Committee of Selection established under Standing Order 109 of those Standing Orders; and each reference to the Committee of Selection in those Standing Orders shall be taken as a reference to the Committee established under this order.
- B. SELECTION COMMITTEE (NOMINATION TO GENERAL COMMITTEES)
- The Selection Committee shall interpret paragraph (2) of Standing Order No. 86 (Nomination of general committees) in such a way that where a committee has an odd number of members the Government shall have a majority, and where a committee has an even number of members the number of Government and Opposition members shall be equal;
- but this instruction shall not apply to the nomination of any public bill committee to which the proviso in sub-paragraph (iv) of that paragraph applies.
- C: POSITIONS FOR WHICH ADDITIONAL SALARIES ARE PAYABLE FOR THE PURPOSES OF SECTION 4A(2) OF THE PARLIAMENTARY STANDARDS ACT 2009
- The Chair of the committee established under part A of this order shall, for the period that part A of this order has effect, be a position specified for the purposes of section 4A(2) of the Parliamentary Standards Act 2009, subject to paragraphs (2) to (4) of the resolution of the House of 19 March 2013 (Positions for which additional salaries are payable for the purposes of Section 4A(2) of the Parliamentary Standards Act 2009) which apply as if that position were referred to in paragraph (1)(a) of that resolution; and, for that period, the chair of the Committee of Selection shall not be a position so specified.
- D: NOMINATION OF PROGRAMMING COMMITTEES
- The Speaker shall interpret paragraph (2)(b) of Standing Order No. 83B (Programming committees) in such a way that the number of Government and Opposition members nominated to each such committee shall be equal.
- E: NOMINATION OF PROGRAMMING SUB-COMMITTEES
- The Speaker shall interpret paragraph (3)(b) of Standing Order No. 83C (Programming sub-committees) in such a way that the Government shall have a majority of the 65 members nominated to each such committee.
- F: NOMINATION OF REASONS COMMITTEES
- That, unless the House otherwise orders, the Government shall have a majority of the members nominated to each committee to draw up reasons.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||310 (+2 tell)||0||0||98.4%|
|Lab||0||250 (+2 tell)||0||96.2%|