Finance Bill — New Clause 2 — Taxation of Chargeable Gains — Persons with Foreign Domicile — 31 Oct 2017 at 16:30
John Baron MP, Basildon and Billericay voted not to undertake a review about the taxation of chargeable gains held by persons with foreign domicile.
The majority of MPs voted not to undertake a review about the taxation of chargeable gains held by persons with foreign domicile.
MPs were considering the Finance Bill.
The proposed new clause rejected in this vote was titled: Taxation of chargeable gains: review of treatment of commercial property held by persons with foreign domicile and stated:
- “(1) The Taxation of Chargeable Gains Act 1992 is amended as follows.
- (2) After section 14 (non-resident groups of companies), insert—
- ‘Review of treatment of commercial property held by persons with foreign domicile
- (1) Within three months of the passing of the Finance (No. 2) Act 2017, the Commissioners for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs shall complete a review about the taxation of chargeable gains held by persons with foreign domicile.
- (2) The review shall consider in particular the implications if the treatment of commercial property were to be the same as the treatment of residential property under section 4BB(2).
- (3) The Chancellor of the Exchequer shall lay a report of the review under this section before the House of Commons within three months of its completion.’”
The rejected new clause was accompanied by the following explanatory note:
- This new clause requires a review to be undertaken of the treatment of capital gains on commercial property disposed of by UK taxpayers with a foreign domicile.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||300 (+2 tell)||0||0||95.3%|
|Lab||0||231 (+2 tell)||0||88.9%|