European Union (Withdrawal) Bill — Clause 7 — Power for Ministers to Amend Devolution Arrangements for Scotland and Wales — 12 Dec 2017 at 21:25
The majority of MPs voted to allow ministers to amend the devolution arrangements applying to Scotland and Wales if required to ensure the continued functioning of European Union law retained as United Kingdom law following the UK's withdrawal from the union.
MPs were considering the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill.
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 158, page 6, line 13, after “it”, insert—
- “() modify the Scotland Act 1998 or the Government of Wales Act 2006,”
Had it not been rejected the amendment would have impacted Clause 7 of the Bill sub-clause (1) of which stated:
- (1) A Minister of the Crown may by regulations make such provision as the Minister considers appropriate to prevent, remedy or mitigate—
- (a) any failure of retained EU law to operate effectively, or
- (b) any other deficiency in retained EU law,
- arising from the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the EU.
The rejected amendment sought to add an addition condition to this, adding to a list of things which such regulations would not be permitted to cover.
The rejected amendment was accompanied by the following explanatory note:
- This amendment would prevent the powers of a Minister of the Crown under Clause 7 of the Bill to fix problems in retained EU law from being exercised to amend the Scotland Act 1998 or the Government of Wales Act 2006.
-  Parliament's webpage on the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill
-  Clause 7 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill as at the time of the vote
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||305 (+2 tell)||0||0||96.8%|
|Lab||0||242 (+1 tell)||0||92.7%|
|SNP||0||32 (+1 tell)||0||94.3%|