Universal Credit — 13 Mar 2018 at 17:45
The majority of MPs voted in favour of regulations aimed at addressing some of the initial problems with Universal Credit, including removing a seven day wait before an entitlement to Universal Credit arose, and allowing those benefiting from Housing Benefit to receive an additional payment as they transition to Universal Credit.
The motion rejected by the majority of MPs in this vote was:
- That an humble address be presented to Her Majesty, praying that the Universal Credit (Miscellaneous Amendments Saving and Transitional Provision) Regulations 2018 (S.I., 2018, No. 65), dated 22 January, a copy of which was laid before this House on 22 January, be annulled.
Among a range of measures the regulations:
- removed the requirement to wait seven days before entitlement to Universal Credit arises.
- allowed those benefiting from Housing Benefit to receive an additional payment of two weeks Housing Benefit as they transition to Universal Credit.
- introduced flexibility in relation to the length of the "first assessment period" for determining Universal Credit entitlements, allowing claims to start from an earlier date.
- to remove work related requirements from students in receipt of Universal Credit as a result of being a member of a couple.
-  Explanatory memorandum to the Universal Credit (Miscellaneous Amendments Saving and Transitional Provision) Regulations 2018
-  revised supplementary explanatory memorandum to the Universal Credit (Miscellaneous Amendments Saving and Transitional Provision) Regulations 2018
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||305 (+2 tell)||0||0||96.8%|
|Lab||0||243 (+2 tell)||0||93.5%|