Future of the Post Office Network — Deplores the programme — rejected — 13 Jan 2004 at 18:50
David Wright MP, Telford voted with the majority (No).
The majority of MPs voted against the motion:
- This House
- deplores the programme to close 3,000 urban post offices because closure decisions are being made without taking adequately into account the needs of post office customers;
- believes that honourable Members are insufficiently consulted when proposed closures are announced;
- regrets the lack of time available to provide for a full consultation period and the failure of the consultation process to influence the closure programme;
- condemns the Government as the sole shareholder of Royal Mail plc's wholly-owned subsidiary, The Post Office Ltd., for its failure to intervene in order to rectify the way in which the Urban Reinvention Programme is being implemented;
- expresses its great concern about the programme to implement Post Office card accounts, which is failing to reflect the needs of customers, especially for the most vulnerable, including elderly and disabled people;
- calls on the Government to give a firm indication that an Exceptions Service will be introduced and to provide the House with the details of how such a system will operate after 2005; and
- further calls on the Government to make a statement on the sustainability of the funding of rural post offices beyond 2006.
A replacement motion in favour of Government policy was proposed in its place.
-  Stephen O'Brien MP, House of Commons, 13 January 2004
-  Future of Post Office network - Congratulates the government, House of Commons, 13 January 2004
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||144 (+2 tell)||0||89.6%|
|Lab||325 (+2 tell)||0||0||80.1%|