Marine Conservation Bill — Marine Conservation Zones designated to conserve marine ecosystem as a whole — rejected — 26 Oct 2009 at 22:00
David Drew MP, Stroud voted in the minority (Aye).
The majority of MPs voted against the designation of Marine Conservation Zones for the purpose of conserving the marine ecosystem as a whole, in addition to other factors.
This vote was held during consideration of part of the Marine Conservation Bill, which says:
- The appropriate authority may make an order under section 116 if it thinks that it is desirable to do so for the purpose of conserving --
- marine flora or fauna;
- marine habitats or types of marine habitat;
- features of geological or geomorphological interest.
The proposed amendment, which was rejected, was to insert a fourth line, which read:
- the marine ecosystem as a whole.
The amendment is designed to enable a policy of creating a network of marine reserves -- some of which themselves might not be of conservation interest -- but are essential to allow living things to migrate from one zone to another without being trawled along the way.
The Minister was against the amendment because it is difficult to define the extent of the "marine ecosystem as a whole".
-  Marine Conservation Bill, Clause 117, Grounds for designation of MCZs
-  Katy Clark MP, House of Commons, 26 October 2009
-  Katy Clarke MP, House of Commons, 26 October 2009
-  Ann McKechin MP, House of Commons, 26 October 2009
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||119 (+2 tell)||0||62.7%|
|Lab||242 (+2 tell)||11||0||73.1%|
|Katy Clark||North Ayrshire and Arran||Lab (minister)||aye|
|Jeremy Corbyn||Islington North||Lab||aye|
|David Drew||Stroud||Lab (minister)||aye|
|Neil Gerrard||Walthamstow||Lab (minister)||aye|
|Lynne Jones||Birmingham, Selly Oak||Lab (minister)||aye|
|John Martin McDonnell||Hayes and Harlington||Lab||aye|
|Linda Riordan||Halifax||Lab (minister)||aye|
|David Taylor||North West Leicestershire||Lab (minister)||aye|
|Joan Walley||Stoke-on-Trent North||Lab (minister)||aye|