Academies Bill — Capital Investment in Additional Academies Only Where Existing Schools Have No Need For It —rejected — 22 Jul 2010 at 14:45
George Osborne MP, Tatton did not vote.
The majority of MPs voted against requiring consultation to establish if existing schools in an area require capital investment and only providing that investment to an additional (new) academy school if the existing schools did not need it.
The text of the defeated amendment read:
- page 2, line 26, at end insert-
- (1A) Payments may be made in respect of capital expenditure under an Academy agreement to an additional school only where the Secretary of State has first consulted with-
- (a) local parents and children,
- (b) the relevant local authority,
- (c) any other persons deemed appropriate.
- (1B) The purpose of the consultation under (1A) shall be to establish whether there are outstanding requirements for capital investment for existing schools in the area where the school is (or is proposed to be) situated.
- (1C) Where a need is demonstrated the Secretary of State may not make payments with respect of capital expenditure under subsection (1).
- (1D) A school is an "additional school" for the purposes of this section if-
- (a) it does not replace a maintained school that has been or is to be discontinued, and
- (b) it is not a school in respect of which an Academy order has effect.
- (1E) For the purposes of subsection (1D)(a) a school does not replace a maintained school if it provides education for pupils of a wider range of ages than the maintained school.'.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||261 (+1 tell)||0||0||85.6%|
|Lab||0||184 (+2 tell)||0||72.1%|
|LDem||41 (+1 tell)||1||0||75.4%|
|Mike Hancock||Portsmouth South||whilst LDem (front bench)||aye|