Opposition Day — Jobs — Recycling — Infrastructure Investment — 26 Oct 2011 at 18:51
George Osborne MP, Tatton did not vote.
The majority of MPs voted against creating jobs, investing in infrastructure and raising the UK's recycling target to 70%.
The motion rejected in this vote was:
- That this House
- believes that the UK risks being left behind in its attempts to attract global investment in environmental technologies;
- agrees with the British Retail Consortium that the recent Waste Review is a disappointment;
- further agrees with the Nature Check report by 29 environmental charities that the Government has failed to deliver its environmental goals;
- condemns the Government’s 27 per cent. cut in flood defence investment from £354 million to £259 million a year;
- calls on the Government to adopt Labour’s five point plan for jobs and growth and bring forward spending on rural infrastructure projects for flood defences and rural broadband;
- further calls on the Government to raise the UK recycling target to 70 per cent. by 2025 to create an additional 50,000 jobs; and
- believes the Government should ensure mandatory carbon emissions reporting for all large UK companies to kick-start green jobs and growth.
The five point plan referred to has been described as:
- 1. 100,000 jobs for young people
- 2. Bring forward investment projects like new school buildings
- 3. Temporarily reverse the VAT rise – a £450 boost for families with children
- 4. Cut VAT on home improvements to 5% for a year
- 5. A tax break for every small firm which takes on extra workers
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||258 (+2 tell)||0||0||85.0%|
|Lab||0||217 (+2 tell)||0||84.9%|