Psychoactive Substances Bill — Clause 8 — Importing of A Psychoactive Substance for Personal Use — 20 Jan 2016 at 16:49
Oliver Letwin MP, West Dorset voted to make it an offence to import psychoactive substances for personal use.
The majority of MPs voted to make it an offence to import psychoactive substances for personal use.
MPs were considering the Psychoactive Substances Bill.
The amendment rejected by the majority of MPs taking part in this vote was:
- Amendment 14, page 4, line 38, leave out paragraph (i)
This amendment would have impacted Clause 8 subsection (1) of the Bill which at the time of the vote stated:
- (1) A person commits an offence if—
- (a) the person intentionally imports a substance,
- (b) the substance is a psychoactive substance,
- (c) the person knows or suspects, or ought to know or suspect, that the substance is a psychoactive substance, and
- (d) the person—
- (i) intends to consume the psychoactive substance for its psychoactive effects, or
- (ii) knows, or is reckless as to whether, the psychoactive substance is likely to be consumed by some other person for its psychoactive effects.
An explanatory note from Anne McLaughlin MP who proposed the amendment explained its intent:
- This amendment seeks to exclude from criminalisation those who order psychoactive substances over the internet for personal consumption.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Psychoactive Substances Bill (now an Act)
-  Clause 8 of the Psychoactive Substances Bill as at the time of the vote
-  House of Commons, Official Record, 20 January 2015
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||299 (+2 tell)||0||0||91.2%|
|SNP||0||39 (+2 tell)||0||75.9%|