Charities (Protection and Social Investment) Bill — Clause 1 — Public Warnings of Misconduct or Mismanagement From the Charity Commission — 26 Jan 2016 at 16:15
Anna Soubry MP, Broxtowe voted to allow the Charity Commission to issue a public warning about a charity where it considers there is misconduct or mismanagement.
The majority of MPs voted to allow the Charity Commission to issue a public warning about a charity where it considers there is misconduct or mismanagement.
The rejected alternative which was the subject of this vote was to allow a warning to only be given to a trustee or charity.
MPs were considering the Charities (Protection and Social Investment) Bill.
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 8, page 1, line 12, leave out subsection (2) and insert—
- "(2) The Commission may issue a warning to a charity trustee, a trustee for a charity or a charity in any way it considers appropriate but may not publish a warning to a wider audience."
Had it not been rejected this amendment would have impacted clause 1 of the Bill titled Official warnings by the Commission. The subsection the amendment was seeking to replace stated:
- (2) The Commission—
- (a) may publish a warning it has issued;
- (b) may issue or publish a warning in any way it considers appropriate.
The warnings in question relate to misconduct or mismanagement
The clause as a whole provided for amendments to the Charities Act 2011, after the heading “Powers of Commission to act for protection of charities etc.".
-  Parliament's webpage on the Charities (Protection and Social Investment) Bill
-  Clause 1 of the Charities (Protection and Social Investment) Bill as at the time of the vote
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||275 (+2 tell)||0||0||83.9%|
|Lab||0||186 (+2 tell)||0||81.0%|