European Union Bill — New Clause 11 — Referendum on EU Membership If Referendum Opposes Transfer of Powers — 1 Feb 2011 at 21:15
Mark Hoban MP, Fareham voted against a proposal that if a proposed transfer of powers from the UK to the EU was rejected in a referendum a subsequent, binding, referendum ought be held on the UK's membership of the EU.
The majority of MPs voted against a proposal that if a proposed transfer of powers from the UK to the EU was rejected in a referendum a subsequent, binding, referendum ought be held on the UK's membership of the EU.
MPs were debating the European Union Bill. The text of the clause MPs rejected was:
- In order to meet the referendum condition referred to in section 2, section 3 and section 6 of this Act, the Act providing for the approval of-
- (a) a treaty under the terms of section 2; or
- (b) a decision under the terms of section 3; or
- (c) a decision or draft decision under section 6
- shall also provide for a further binding referendum to be held on continuing United Kingdom membership of the European Union, if the majority of those voting in a referendum held under the terms of the relevant section are opposed to the ratification of the treaty, decision or draft decision, as the case may be
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||250 (+2 tell)||18 (+2 tell)||0||88.9%|
|John Baron||Basildon and Billericay||Con||aye|
|Andrew Bridgen||North West Leicestershire||Con||aye|
|Richard Drax||South Dorset||Con||aye|
|Zac Goldsmith||Richmond Park||Con||aye|
|Gordon Henderson||Sittingbourne and Sheppey||Con||aye|
|Bernard Jenkin||Harwich and North Essex||Con||aye|
|Julian Lewis||New Forest East||Con||aye|
|Anne Main||St Albans||Con||aye|
|David Nuttall||Bury North||Con||aye|
|Andrew Percy||Brigg and Goole||Con||aye|
|Mark Reckless||Rochester and Strood||Con||tellaye|
|Andrew Turner||Isle of Wight||Con||aye|