Budget Resolutions and Economic Situation — 5. Tobacco products duty (rates) — 15 Mar 1999
That provision may be made about the drawback of excise duty on hydrocarbon oil.
Motion made, and Question put,
(1) For the Table of rates of duty in Schedule 1 to the Tobacco Products Duty Act 1979 there shall be substituted--
1. Cigarettes An amount equal to 22 per cent. of the retail price plus £82.59 per thousand cigarettes.
2. Cigars £122.06 per kilogram.
3. Hand-rolling tobacco £87.74 per kilogram.
4. Other smoking tobacco and chewing tobacco £53.66 per kilogram.
(2) This Resolution shall have effect as from 6 o'clock in the evening of 9th March 1999.
And it is hereby declared that it is expedient in the public interest that this Resolution should have statutory effect under the provisions of the Provisional Collection of Taxes Act 1968.
The House divided: Ayes 380, Noes 143.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||138 (+2 tell)||0||86.4%|
|Lab||329 (+2 tell)||0||0||79.4%|