Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Bill — 31 Oct 2002 at 23:13
moved Amendment No. 103:
After Clause 107, insert the following new clause-
"MONITOR OF CERTIFICATION OF CLAIMS AS UNFOUNDED
(1) The Secretary of State shall appoint a person to monitor the use of the powers under sections 92(2) and 111(1).
(2) The person appointed under this section shall make a report to the Secretary of State-
(a) once in each calendar year, and
(b) on such occasions as the Secretary of State may request.
(3) Where the Secretary of State receives a report under subsection (2)(a) he shall lay a copy before Parliament as soon as is reasonably practicable.
(4) The person appointed under this section shall hold and vacate office in accordance with the terms of his appointment (which may include provision about retirement, resignation or dismissal).
(5) The Secretary of State may-
(a) pay fees and allowances to the person appointed under this section;
(b) defray expenses of the person appointed under this section.
(6) A person who is employed within a government department may not be appointed under this section."
[Amendment No. 103A, as an amendment to Amendment No. 103, not moved.]
On Question, Amendment No. 103 agreed to.
Clause 111 [Appeal from within United Kingdom: unfounded human rights or asylum claim: transitional provision]:
moved Amendment No. 104:
Page 62, line 24, at end insert-
"( ) In this section "asylum claim" and "human rights claim" have the meanings given by section 109 but-
(a) a reference to a claim in that section shall be treated as including a reference to an allegation, and
(b) a reference in that section to making a claim at a place designated by the Secretary of State shall be ignored."
On Question, amendment agreed to.
moved Amendment No. 105:
After Clause 113, insert the following new clause-
"IMMIGRATION PROCEDURE AND WAITING TIMES: ANNUAL REPORT BY THE SECRETARY OF STATE
(1) The Secretary of State shall make an annual report to Parliament detailing the measures taken and proposed to improve procedure and reduce waiting times in immigration applications and appeals.
(2) The report shall include details of outcomes relating to any targets agreed or set by the Secretary of State in respect of such applications and appeals."
On Question, Whether the said amendment (No. 105) shall be agreed to?
Their Lordships divided: Contents, 20; Not-Contents, 63.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||0||10 (+1 tell)||5.0%|
|Lab||61 (+2 tell)||0||32.3%|
|LDem||0||8 (+1 tell)||13.6%|