Counting votes on your behalf
'(1) In paragraph 8 of Schedule 3 to the Police (Northern Ireland) Act 2000 (c.32) (disqualification for membership of district policing partnership) for subparagraph (2) substitute-
"(2) A person is disqualified for being an independent member of a DPP if-
(a) he has been convicted in Northern Ireland or elsewhere of any offence and has had passed on him a sentence of imprisonment or detention, and
(b) the relevant period has not ended.
(3) The relevant period is the period of five years beginning with the person's discharge in respect of the offence.
(4) For the purposes of subparagraph (3) the following are to be treated as the discharge of a person (whether or not his release is subject to conditions)-
(a) his release on licence;
(b) his release in pursuance of a grant of remission.
(5) Subparagraph (4) does not apply in relation to the release of a person in respect of an offence if he is required to return to prison or detention for a further period in respect of the offence.
(6) Subject to subparagraph (7), the reference in subparagraph (2) to a sentence of imprisonment or detention does not include a suspended sentence.
(7) Subparagraph (6) does not apply in relation to a suspended sentence that has been ordered to take effect.
(8) In this paragraph "suspended sentence" means a sentence of imprisonment or detention that is ordered not to take effect unless the conditions specified in the order are met."
(2) Subsection (1) comes into force in accordance with provision made by the Secretary of State by order.'.-[Jane Kennedy.]
Brought up, and read the First time.
Motion made, and Question put, That the clause be read a Second time:-
The House divided: Ayes 312, Noes 189.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||130 (+2 tell)||0||81.0%|
|Lab||311 (+2 tell)||0||0||76.3%|