Communications Bill — 2 Jul 2003 at 18:23
[Amendments Nos. 190 to 192 not moved.]
moved Amendment No. 193:
Before Clause 340, insert the following new clause-
"INTERIM RETENTION OF CERTAIN RESTRICTIONS ON NON-EEA OWNERSHIP
(1) For paragraph 1(2) and (3) of Part 2 of Schedule 2 to the 1990 Act, there shall be substituted-
"(2) Sub-paragraph (1) shall apply in relation to any Broadcasting Act licence other than a licence to provide a Channel 3 service and a Channel 5 licence as if paragraphs (a) and (b) (and the reference to those paragraphs in paragraph (i)) were omitted."
(2) OFCOM shall carry out the initial review for the purposes of this section within a year of the coming into force of this section.
(3) OFCOM may carry out a subsequent review for the purposes of this section at any time during the period which commences a year after the completion of the initial review under subsection (2) and which concludes with the coming into force of the order made under subsection (7).
(4) A review under this section shall consider whether, in the opinion of OFCOM-
(a) the provisions of section 273, 274 and 280 to 284 are operating in such a manner as to provide for a fair and transparent programme supply market with respect to Channels 3 and 5;
(b) the relevant provisions of Chapter 4 of this Part are operating in such a manner as to provide for effective content regulation of Channel 3 and Channel 5 services;
(c) the provisions of sections 260 to 267 are operating in such a manner as to provide for a continuing significant contribution by Channel 3 and Channel 5 services towards the achievement of the purposes of public service television broadcasting in the United Kingdom specified in section 260;
(d) the provisions of sections 344 to 349 provide adequate additional safeguards in case of change of control of Channel 3 services or Channel 5; and
(e) the powers available to OFCOM under the Competition Act 1998 (c. 41), Part 4 of the Enterprise Act 2002 (c. 40) and sections 309 to 311 of this Act are adequate to promote effective competition in the broadcasting market in the United Kingdom.
(5) When, as a result of a review carried out in accordance with subsections (2) or (3), OFCOM consider that each condition specified in subsection (4) has been met, they shall make a report to that effect to the Secretary of State, giving reasons.
(6) The Secretary of State shall lay any report made to him under subsection (5) before Parliament.
(7) When a report has been laid before Parliament in accordance with subsection (6), the Secretary of State may by order repeal paragraph 1(1)(a) and (b) of Part 2 of Schedule 2 to the 1990 Act and make such consequential amendments to that Part of that Schedule or to other provisions of that Act or this Act as he thinks fit.
(8) No order is to be made containing provision authorised by subsection (7) unless a draft of the order has been laid before Parliament and approved by a resolution of each House."
On Question, Whether the said amendment (No. 193) shall be agreed to?
Their Lordships divided: Contents, 116; Not-Contents, 127.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||31||41 (+1 tell)||34.4%|
|Lab||90 (+2 tell)||6||52.1%|
|LDem||0||44 (+1 tell)||69.2%|