Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants, etc.) Bill — Second Reading — 17 Dec 2003 at 18:59
The majority Aye voters agreed to give the Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants, etc.) Bill its Second Reading. This means it now moves onto the committee stage.
The Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants, etc.) Bill became law in 2004. Its main aims were to:
- Simplify the process of appeal for asylum seekers
- Criminalise people who arrive into the UK without a valid travel document unless they have a reasonable excuse
- Stop supporting failed asylum seekers and their families if they do not leave the UK
- Allow the government to tag and track asylum seekers
- Provide accommodation to failed asylum seekers who cannot return home immediately
-  David Blunkett MP, House of Commons, 17 December 2003
-  Based on The Guardian's A-Z of legislation
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Independent Ulster Unionist||1||0||0||33.3%|
|Lab||286 (+2 tell)||19||0||75.2%|
|LDem||1||43 (+2 tell)||0||85.2%|
|Mike Hancock||Portsmouth South||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Diane Abbott||Hackney North and Stoke Newington||Lab||no|
|Mr Harry Barnes||North East Derbyshire||Lab||no|
|Michael Connarty||Falkirk East||Lab (minister)||no|
|Jeremy Corbyn||Islington North||Lab||no|
|Mr Denzil Davies||Llanelli||Lab||no|
|Mr Hilton Dawson||Lancaster and Wyre||Lab||no|
|Mark Fisher||Stoke-on-Trent Central||Lab||no|
|Douglas Hogg||Sleaford and North Hykeham||Con||no|
|Glenda Jackson||Hampstead and Highgate||Lab||no|
|Lynne Jones||Birmingham, Selly Oak||Lab||no|
|Dr Jim Marshall||Leicester South||Lab||no|
|John Martin McDonnell||Hayes and Harlington||Lab||no|
|Julie Morgan||Cardiff North||Lab||no|
|Mr Phil Sawford||Kettering||Lab||no|
|Alan Simpson||Nottingham South||Lab||no|
|Dennis Skinner||Bolsover||Lab (minister)||no|
|Keith Vaz||Leicester East||Lab||no|
|Robert Wareing||Liverpool, West Derby||Lab||no|