Lisbon Treaty — Delay till 20 October 2008 — rejected — 18 Jun 2008 at 18:07
- Notwithstanding the normal practice of the House, this Bill be read a third time no earlier than Monday 20 October 2008 to allow --
- Parliament to consider the most appropriate response to the changed circumstances and uncertainties caused by the rejection of the Lisbon treaty in the Irish referendum; and
- any amendments to the Bill made necessary by those changed circumstances to be considered in detail by the House, if necessary on recommitment.
- Streamline EU institutions
- Establish a permanent President of the European Council (as of 16 March 2010 held by Herman Van Rompuy)
- Establish the post of High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy (as of 16 March 2010 held by Catherine Ashton)
- Give new powers to the EU over justice and home affairs
- Remove the national veto in some areas such as energy security and emergency aid
-  Lord Howell of Guildford, House of Lords, 18 June 2008
-  BBC News Q&A: The Lisbon Treaty, 5 February 2010
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||6||143 (+2 tell)||74.8%|
|Lab||156 (+2 tell)||1||72.9%|