Energy Bill — 22 Oct 2008 at 22:07
moved Amendment No. 11:
Before Clause 80, insert the following new Clause-
"Provision for greenhouse gases emissions performance standard for electricity generation
(1) The Secretary of State may by regulations, make provision for a greenhouse gases emissions performance standard to set the maximum level of carbon dioxide that may be emitted per unit of output by any generating station requiring consent for construction or extension under section 36 of the Electricity Act 1989 (c. 29) (consent required for construction etc of generating stations).
(2) Regulations made under subsection (1) may include provision specifying-
(a) how proposed generation stations may comply with any greenhouse gases emissions performance standard and demonstrate compliance with any regulations made under this section, including by the capture of carbon dioxide at the generating station and its transport to and injection into geological storage provided that such activities are licensed in accordance with applicable laws and regulations;(b) the basis on which emissions of greenhouse gases from combined heat and power generating stations shall be calculated such that the unit of output includes useful heat produced in addition to electricity generated by any such generating station; and(c) any sources of electricity generation, including electricity generated from renewable sources, that are deemed to be compliant with any greenhouse gases emissions performance standard.
(3) No consent shall be granted under section 36 of the Electricity Act 1989 for any generating station that does not comply with regulations made under subsection (1).
(4) Before making regulations under subsection (1) (including setting the level of the greenhouse gases emissions performance standard), the Secretary of State must consult such persons as are, in his opinion, likely to be affected by or have an interest in the regulations.
(5) Regulations made under subsection (1) shall be made by statutory instrument, and shall not be made unless a draft of the instrument has been laid before, and approved by a resolution of, each House of Parliament.
(6) In this section "greenhouse gases emissions performance standard" means a standard prescribed by regulations setting the maximum level of carbon dioxide that may be emitted per unit of output from an individual generating station."
On Question, Whether the said amendment (No. 11) shall be agreed to?
Their Lordships divided: Contents, 14; Not-Contents, 34.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||3||6 (+1 tell)||5.0%|
|Lab||27 (+2 tell)||1||13.9%|
|LDem||0||4 (+1 tell)||6.7%|
|Lord Jenkin of Roding||Con||no|
|Lord Lucas||Con (front bench)||no|
|Lord Whitty||Lab (minister)||aye|
|Baroness Young of Old Scone||Lab||aye|