Digital Economy Bill — New functions of Channel 4 — requires special annual report — 3 Feb 2010 at 18:41
The majority of Lords voted against reducing the reporting mechanism imposed on Channel 4 over its new functions.
The new functions were to:
- make a broad range of high quality media content that appeals to the tastes and interests of a culturally diverse society, including films intended to be shown in the cinema
- distribute the media content through a range of different types of electronic communications networks
- promote measures intended to secure that people are well-informed and motivated to participate in society in a variety of ways
- support the development of people with creative talent at the beginning of their careers or involved in the making of innovative content
The following clause required them to produce an annual statement monitoring its performance against these new functions
The change, which was voted on and rejected, was to minimize this reporting mechanism by requiring them to simply publish it in its annual report.
-  C4C’s functions in relation to media content, Digital Economy Bill, Communcations Act 2003
-  Statement of media content policy, Digital Economy Bill, Communcations Act 2003
-  Lord Howard of Rising, House of Lords, 3 February 2010
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||0||51 (+2 tell)||27.5%|
|Lab||82 (+2 tell)||0||38.9%|
|Lord Alton of Liverpool||Crossbench||aye|
|Baroness Butler-Sloss||Crossbench (front bench)||aye|
|Lord Craig of Radley||Crossbench (front bench)||aye|
|Baroness D'Souza||Crossbench (front bench)||aye|
|Baroness Masham of Ilton||Crossbench||aye|
|Baroness O'Neill of Bengarve||Crossbench (front bench)||aye|
|Lord Walpole||Crossbench (front bench)||aye|