Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill — Limit Reduction of MPs from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland — 9 Feb 2011 at 19:01
The majority of members of the House of Lords voted against requiring that the number of MPs from each of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will remain within 10 per cent of the current number.
The House of Lords was considering the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill. The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 25ZB : Clause 11, page 12, line 13, at end insert-
- "(6) The total number of seats to be allocated to any part of the UK shall not be more than ten per cent fewer than the current number of constituencies; and if the number of seats allocated by the process described in sub-paragraphs 1 to 5 of rule 9 exceeds that limit in any part of the UK then additional constituencies shall be allocated to that part to bring its allocation within ten per cent of the current number of constituencies.
- (7) This number of seats shall then be the allocation for that part of the UK for the purposes of rule 9.
- (8) Any reallocation to one or more parts of the UK made under the terms of sub-paragraphs (6) and (7) above shall not result in any change to the allocation already allotted to any other parts of the UK."
This amendment would have affected Clause 11 of the Bill.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill
-  Clause 11 of the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill as at the time of the vote
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||150 (+1 tell)||0||68.0%|
|Lab||0||156 (+2 tell)||65.0%|
|LDem||76 (+1 tell)||0||80.2%|
|Lord Alton of Liverpool||Crossbench||no|
|Lord Best||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Craig of Radley||Crossbench||no|
|Lord Dear||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Baroness Masham of Ilton||Crossbench||no|
|Baroness O'Neill of Bengarve||Crossbench||no|
|Lord Patel||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Scott of Foscote||Crossbench||no|
|Lord Stevens of Kirkwhelpington||Crossbench||no|
|Lord Walpole||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Wilson of Tillyorn||Crossbench||no|
|Lord Maginnis of Drumglass||UUP||no|