Counting votes on your behalf
The majority of MPs voted to require the Chief Executive of Skills Funding make "reasonable efforts" (rather than "best efforts") to secure apprenticeship training for employees aged 19 and under.
The vote was on:
- Amendment (a) proposed to Lords amendment 36.
The question put to MPs was:
- That the amendment be made.
Amendment 36 sought to alter Part 4 of The Apprenticeships, Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009 which set out the responsibilities of the Chief Executive of Skills Funding. Amendment 36 would have changed section 85(1)(a) from saying the Chief Executive must:
- encourage employers to participate in the provision of training within the Chief Executive's remit for persons who are within section 83(1)(a) or (b);
- make reasonable efforts to secure that employers participate in the provision of apprenticeship training for all persons who are within section 83(1)(a) or (b) or section 83A(4), (5) or (6);”
The requirement applies to those aged 16-19 (and in the case of those subject to a learning difficulty assessment those aged up to 25).
Amendment (a) stated:
- leave out ‘reasonable’ and insert ‘best’.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Education Bill (now the Education Act 2011)
-  Education Bill as of 13 May 2011 (the version to which the amendment applied)
-  Lords Amendments to the Education Bill - 10th of November 2011
-  Page containing amendment 36 from Lords Amendments to the Education Bill - 10th of November 2011
-  Amendment sheet for the consideration of the Lords' amendments on 14 November 2011
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||237 (+1 tell)||0||0||77.8%|
|Lab||0||189 (+2 tell)||0||74.3%|
|LDem||44 (+1 tell)||0||0||78.9%|