2014 JHA Opt-out Decision — European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation and Training — Opt In — 15 Jul 2013 at 21:53
The majority of MPs voted to opt into Europol's European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation and Training so long as Europol is not given the power to direct national law enforcement agencies to initiate investigations or share data that conflicts with national security; and against considering the views of the Association of Chief Police Officers when deciding when to opt in.
MPs were considering the motion:
- That this House
- takes note of European Union Document No. 8229/13 and Addenda 1 to 6, a draft Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation and Training (Europol) and repealing Decisions 2009/371/JHA and 2005/681/JHA; and
- agrees with the Government that the UK should opt into the Regulation post-adoption, provided that Europol is not given the power to direct national law enforcement agencies to initiate investigations or share data that conflicts with national security.
This vote was on a, rejected, proposed amendment to that motion:
- amendment (a), in line 4, leave out from ‘2005/681/JHA;’ to end and add—
- ‘and calls on the Government to consider the views of the Association of Chief Police Officers in deciding when to adopt the measure.’.
Decision 2009/371/JHA established Europol
Decision 2005/681/JHA established the European Police College (CEPOL)
-  Written statement to Parliament - Opt-in decisions to be debated in Parliament in government time in 2013
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||279 (+1 tell)||0||0||91.8%|
|Lab||0||226 (+2 tell)||0||88.4%|
|LDem||47 (+1 tell)||0||0||85.7%|