House of Lords (Expulsion and Suspension) Bill — Clause 1 — Expulsion and suspension of Members of the House of Lords — 6 Mar 2015 at 11:00
Patrick McLoughlin MP, Derbyshire Dales did not vote.
The majority of MPs voted to make new procedures for expelling or suspending members of the House of Lords retrospective and apply to conduct which occurred before the new rules were set.
MPs were considering the House of Lords (Expulsion and Suspension) Bill.
The amendment rejected by the majority of MPs taking part in this vote was:
- page 1, line 17, after “Act”, insert “and any Standing Orders made under subsection (1)”
This would have affected clause 1(4) of the Bill which stated:
- (4) A resolution passed by virtue of subsection (1) must state that, in the opinion of the House of Lords, the conduct giving rise to the resolution—
- (a) occurred after the coming into force of this Act, or
This amendment would have prevented a member of the House of Lords being expelled or suspended under the provisions of the Bill in relation to conduct which took place prior to the coming into force of any Standing Orders made under clause 1(1) of the Bill which stated:
- 1. (1) Standing Orders of the House of Lords may make provision under which the
- House of Lords may by resolution—
- (a) expel a member of the House of Lords, or
- (b) suspend a member of the House of Lords for the period specified in the resolution.
-  Parliament's webpage on the House of Lords (Expulsion and Suspension) Bill
-  Clause 1 of the House of Lords (Expulsion and Suspension) Bill
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||27 (+2 tell)||2 (+2 tell)||0||10.9%|
|Peter Bone||Wellingborough||Con (front bench)||tellaye|
|Christopher Chope||Christchurch||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Philip Davies||Shipley||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Philip Hollobone||Kettering||Con (front bench)||tellaye|