Immigration Bill — Support for Failed Asylum Seekers and Illegal Migrants — 1 Dec 2015 at 18:00
The majority of MPs voted to restrict the support available to failed asylum seekers and illegal migrants.
MPs were considering the Immigration Bill
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 29, page 40, line 14, leave out clause 37
Clause 37 was titled Support for certain categories of migrant and stated:
- Schedule 8 (support for certain categories of migrant) has effect.
- We say that it is not appropriate for public money to be used to support illegal migrants, including failed asylum seekers, who can and should leave the UK. Schedule 8 will therefore restrict the availability of such support, consistently with our international obligations, and remove incentives for migrants to remain in the UK when they have no lawful basis for doing so.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Immigration Bill
-  Clause 37 of the Immigration Bill as at the time of the vote
-  Schedule 8 of the Immigration Bill as at the time of the vote
-  James Brokenshire MP, Official Record, House of Commons, 1 December 2015
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||302 (+2 tell)||0||0||92.1%|
|Lab||0||192 (+2 tell)||0||84.0%|