Finance Bill — New Clause 2 — Review of Effectiveness of Changes to Entrepreneurs Relief — 8 Jan 2019 at 19:53
The majority of MPs voted against carrying out a review of the effectiveness of the changes made to entrepreneurs’ relief. Entrepreneurs' relief is an aspect of the tax system which can reduce capital gains tax payable when someone sells their own business.
MPs were considering the Finance Bill.
The proposed new clause rejected in this vote was titled: Review of effects on public finances and stated:
- (1) Within twelve months of the passing of this Act, the Chancellor of the Exchequer must review the effectiveness of the changes made to entrepreneurs’ relief by Schedule 15, against the stated policy aims of that relief.
- (2) A review under this section must consider—
- (a) the overall number of entrepreneurs in the UK,
- (b) the annual cost of entrepreneurs’ relief,
- (c) the annual number of claimants per year,
- (d) the average cost of relief paid per claim, and
- (e) the impact on productivity in the UK economy.”
The rejected clause was accompanied by the following explanatory notice:
- This new clause would require the Chancellor of the Exchequer to review the effectiveness of the changes made to entrepreneurs’ relief by Schedule 15.
Clause 38 and Schedule 15 of the Bill provided for changes to the operation of the entrepreneurs’ relief scheme. The changes include extending the time individuals are required to have had an interest in their business from one to two years and setting a minimum level of interests in the company an individual must have.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||302 (+2 tell)||0||0||95.9%|
|Lab||0||235 (+2 tell)||0||91.2%|