European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 — Delay Withdrawal — Rule-Out No-Deal — Scotland to Remain in the European Union — 29 Jan 2019 at 19:00
The majority of MPs voted not to seek to delay the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union; not to rule out leaving without a withdrawal agreement, and against Scotland remaining in the European Union.
MPs were considering a motion stating:
- That this House, in accordance with the provisions of section 13(6)(a) and 13(11)(b)(i) and 13(13)(b) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018, has considered the Written Statement titled “Statement under Section 13(4) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018” and made on 21 January 2019, and the Written Statement titled “Statement under Section 13(11)(a) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018”and made on 24 January 2019.
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment (o), in line 1, leave out from “House” to end and add
- “notes that the Scottish Parliament, National Assembly for Wales and House of Commons all voted overwhelmingly to reject the Prime Minister’s deal;
- calls for the Government to seek an extension of the period specified under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union;
- agrees a No Deal outcome should be ruled out; and
- recognises that if the UK is an equal partnership of nations, the 62 per cent vote to remain at the EU referendum on 23 June 2016 in Scotland should be respected and that the people of Scotland should not be taken out of the EU against their will.”
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||312 (+2 tell)||0||0||99.1%|
|SNP||0||33 (+2 tell)||0||100.0%|
|Paul Farrelly||Newcastle-under-Lyme||Lab (minister)||aye|