Queen's Speech — Programme for Government — The Economy — For the Many — Green Industrial Revolution — 24 Oct 2019 at 16:50
The majority of MPs voted against rebuilding the economy so it works for the many, not just rewarding those at the top, and against a green industrial revolution to decarbonise the economy and boost economic growth.
The debate on the content of the government's legislative programme outlined in the Queens' speech is technically, and traditionally, on the subject of a message of thanks which the house is to send the monarch for making the speech.
MPs were considering the following motion:
- That an Humble Address be presented to Her Majesty, as follows:
- Most Gracious Sovereign,
- We, Your Majesty’s most dutiful and loyal subjects, the Commons of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Parliament assembled, beg leave to offer our humble thanks to Your Majesty for the Gracious Speech which Your Majesty has addressed to both Houses of Parliament.
the amendment rejected in this vote was:
- amendment (g), at end add
- ‘but respectfully
- regrets that the Gracious Speech fails to rebuild the UK economy, tackle the housing crisis, further pushes public services into crisis and. contains no vision to bring this divided country back together;
- calls on the Government to bring forward a plan to rebuild the economy so that it works in the interest of the many, not just handing out rewards to those at the top; and
- further calls on the Government to address the climate emergency by bringing forward a green industrial revolution to decarbonise the economy and boost economic growth.’
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||283 (+2 tell)||0||0||99.0%|
|Lab||0||231 (+2 tell)||0||94.3%|