Telecommunications Infrastructure (Leasehold Property) Bill — Clause 1 — Communications Network Operators — High Risk Vendors — Access to Install Services — 10 Mar 2020 at 15:15
The majority of MPs voted not to restrict those network operators able to use a new process to seek a court order giving them access and permission to install their services to operators not using suppliers defined by the National Cyber Security Centre as high-risk.
The rejected amendment
MPs were considering the Telecommunications Infrastructure (Leasehold Property) Bill.
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 1, in clause 1, page 2, line 16, at end insert—
- "(f) the operator does not, after 31 December 2022, use vendors defined by the National Cyber Security Centre as high-risk vendors."
The NCSC advice on the use of equipment from high risk vendors in UK telecoms networks states:
- In order to minimise the additional cyber security risk caused by [high risk vendors], NCSC believe it is necessary and proportionate to limit their presence in networks
- Huawei has always been considered higher risk by the UK government and a risk mitigation strategy has been in place since they first began to supply into the UK.
- Huawei is the only HRV which currently has in place a bespoke risk mitigation strategy.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Telecommunications Infrastructure (Leasehold Property) Bill, Parliament.uk
-  Explanatory notes to the Telecommunications Infrastructure (Leasehold Property) Bill, Parliament.uk
-  NCSC advice on the use of equipment from high risk vendors in UK telecoms networks, UK National Cyber Security Centre
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||301 (+2 tell)||36 (+2 tell)||0||93.4%|