Extradition (Provisional Arrest) Bill — Clause 2 — Addition of Countries From Which Requests for Arrests for the Purposes of Extradition for Serious Offences Are Considered — 8 Sep 2020 at 16:45
The majority of MPs voted not to only allow the addition of one new country at a time to the list of countries from which requests for arrests for the purposes of extradition for serious offences are considered.
MPs were considering the Extradition (Provisional Arrest) Bill.
The amendment supported by a majority of MPs in this vote was:
- Amendment 14, page 4, leave out lines 3 and 4.
The accepted amendment was accompanied by the following explanatory statement from its proposer:
- This amendment leaves out a provision inserted in the Lords preventing regulations under new section 74B(7) adding more than one territory at a time to the list of territories in new Schedule A1.
The provision removed by this amendment stated:
- Regulations made under subsection (7)(a) shall designate no more than one territory
The regulations in question would amend the scope, and arrangements, relating to a power for UK constables to arrest people on the basis of a request from an authority in another country. The proposal at the time of the vote was for such a power to apply in respect of certain requests from Australia, Canada, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Switzerland and The United States of America.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Extradition (Provisional Arrest) Bill
-  Version of the Extradition (Provisional Arrest) Bill to which this amendment relates, Parliament.uk website
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||328 (+2 tell)||0||0||90.7%|
|Lab||0||180 (+2 tell)||0||90.1%|