Trade Bill — After Clause 2 — Northern Ireland: Non-Discrimination in Goods and Services — 19 Jan 2021 at 18:47
The majority of MPs voted not to require international trade agreements to protect the free market in goods and services between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
The amendment accepted by the majority of MPs in this vote
- That this House disagrees with Lords amendment 8
Lords amendment 8 stated:
- Insert the following new Clause—
- “Northern Ireland: non-discrimination in goods and services
- (1) Any trade agreement between the United Kingdom and any other party that is subject to sections 20 to 25 of the Constitutional Reform and Governance Act 2010 is not to be ratified if anything in the agreement prevents the United Kingdom from ensuring unfettered market access for—
- (a) goods moving between Northern Ireland and other parts of the United Kingdom’s internal market,
- (b) services provided by a service provider in Northern Ireland to customers in other parts of the United Kingdom, and
- (c) services provided by a service provider in another part of the United Kingdom to customers in Northern Ireland.
- (2) Regulations under section 2(1) may not impose any tariffs or any requirement of customs procedures for goods originating in Northern Ireland which are entering Great Britain, or discriminate, either directly or in effect, in relation to such goods entering Great Britain as compared to other goods being traded within the United Kingdom.”
-  Parliament's webpage on the Trade Bill, Parliament.uk
-  Explanatory notes to the Trade Bill, 18 January 2021, Parliament.uk
-  Lords amendments to the Trade Bill, 18 January 2021, Parliament.uk
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||357 (+2 tell)||0||0||98.4%|
|Lab||0||197 (+2 tell)||0||99.5%|