Finance (No. 2) Bill — New Clause 24 — Impact of Tax Incentives for Investment in Plant or Machinery — 19 Apr 2021 at 21:15
The majority of MPs voted not require a report on the impact of increased tax incentives for investment in plant or machinery, covering the effect on tax avoidance and evasion as well as on capital investment.
The proposed new clause rejected by a majority of MPs in this vote was titled:Review of super-deductions and stated:
- “(1) The Chancellor of the Exchequer must review the impact of sections 9 to 14 and schedule 1 of this Act and lay a report of that review before the House of Commons within six months of the passing of this Act, and then annually for five further years.
- (2) A review under this section must estimate the expected impact of sections 9 to 14 and schedule 1 on—
- (a) levels of artificial tax avoidance,
- (b) levels of tax evasion, reducing the tax gap in each tax year from 2021–22 to 2025–26, and
- (c) levels of gross fixed capital formation by businesses in each tax year from 2021–22 to 2025–26.
- (3) The first review under this section must also consider levels of usage of the recovery loan scheme in 2021.”
The rejected new clause was accompanied by the following explanatory statement from its proposer:
- This new clause would require the Government to review the impact of the provisions relating to super-deductions and publish regular reports setting out their findings.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Finance (No. 2) Bill, Parliament.uk
-  The Finance (No. 2) Bill (as introduced 11 March 2021), Parliament.uk
-  Explanatory notes to the Finance (No. 2) Bill, Parliament.uk
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||358 (+2 tell)||0||0||98.9%|
|Lab||0||193 (+2 tell)||0||98.0%|