Finance Bill — Clause 9 — Incentives to Invest in Plant or Machinery — Large Digital Services Companies — 24 May 2021 at 19:15
The majority of MPs voted not to exclude large digital services companies from tax incentives for investment in plant or machinery.
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 29, page 4, line 2, at end insert
- “provided that any such company must also not be liable to the digital services tax”
The digital services tax, provided for by the Part 2 of the Finance Act 2020, taxes large online providers of search engines, social media services, online market places, and where revenue is derived from online advertising. The tax only applies to enterprises with over £500 million of global revenues per year, more than £25 million of which arises in the United Kingdom.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Finance Bill, Parliament.uk
-  Explanatory notes to the Finance Bill, 11 March 2021, Parliament.uk
-  Finance Bill, as introduced, 11 March 2021, Parliament.uk
-  Part 2 of the Finance Act 2020, Legislation.gov.uk
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||355 (+2 tell)||0||0||98.1%|
|Lab||0||194 (+2 tell)||0||99.0%|