Health and Social Care Levy Bill — Decline Second Reading — 14 Sep 2021 at 16:53
The majority of MPs voted for a new 1.25% tax on individuals' earnings or profits to be spent on health and social care.
MPs were considering the motion:
- That the Bill be now read a Second time.
The amendment rejected by a majority of MPs in this vote was:
- to leave out from “That” to the end of the Question and add:
- “this House
- declines to give a Second Reading to the Health and Social Care Levy Bill because, notwithstanding the need to increase funding for health and social care, the Bill raises money for an approach announced by the Government that fails to set out a plan to fix the crisis in social care, improve pay and conditions for social care workers, or clear the NHS waiting list backlog by the end of this Parliament, while breaking the Prime Minister’s promise that no one will have to sell their home to pay for care; because it lacks a guarantee that Parliament will vote on a social care plan before spending the money it raises; and because it breaks the Government’s promise not to increase National Insurance, raising taxes on employment that will disproportionately hit working families, young people, those on low and middle incomes and businesses trying to create more jobs in the wider economy, whilst leaving income from other sources untouched.”
-  Parliament's webpage on the Health and Social Care Levy Bill, Parliament.uk
-  Health and Social Care Levy Bill, as introduced, 8 September 2021, Parliament.uk
-  Explanatory notes to the Health and Social Care Levy Bill, as introduced, 8 September 2021, Parliament.uk
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||325 (+2 tell)||0||0||89.8%|
|Lab||0||180 (+2 tell)||0||91.5%|