Energy Bill [HL] — 29 Mar 2004 at 19:22
moved Amendment No. 195B:
After Clause 109, insert the following new clause-
STRATEGY FOR MICROGENERATION
(1) For the purposes of promoting and developing the use of new and renewable energy sources, the Secretary of State shall within twelve months of the passing of this Act publish a strategy for microgeneration ("the strategy").
(2) In drawing up the strategy or any revision of the strategy the Secretary of State shall consider the role of microgeneration in-
(a) reducing the emission of carbon dioxide,
(b) alleviating fuel poverty,
(c) reducing the need for reinforcement of electricity networks, and
(d) ensuring security of supply of electricity.
(3) In preparing the strategy or any revision of the strategy the Secretary of State shall consult such persons as in his opinions of producers of energy by means of microgeneration.
(4) The strategy shall include such targets for the generation of energy by microgeneration as in the opinion of the Secretary of State are practicable and cost effective.
(5) It shall be the duty of the Secretary of State to take reasonable steps to-
(a) implement the strategy, and
(b) ensure that any targets included in the strategy are met.
(6) The Secretary of State may from time to time revise the strategy and any revised strategy may set new targets for the generation of energy by microgeneration and it shall be the duty of the Secretary of State to take reasonable steps to-
(a) implement the revised strategy, and
(b) ensure that any targets included in the revised strategy are met.
(7) In this section the following terms shall have the following meanings-
"new and renewable energy sources" means sources of production of energy from or by means of-
(a) wind power,
(b) solar power,
(c) ground source heat,
(d) micro combined heat and power systems,
(e) micro hydro power, and
(f) other low or zero carbon sources;
"microgeneration" means generation of energy by means of equipment installed in, or for use by, a single unit or a small number of units of residential accommodation or office accommodation."
On Question, Whether the said amendment (No. 195B) shall be agreed to?
Their Lordships divided: Contents, 106; Not-Contents, 87.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Content)||Minority (Not-Content)||Turnout|
|Lab||0||83 (+2 tell)||46.4%|
|LDem||32 (+2 tell)||0||53.1%|