Lisbon Treaty — Third Reading — 11 Mar 2008 at 21:29
The majority Aye voters successfully carried the motion for the European Union (Amendment) Bill to be given its Third Reading. This is a crucial stage in the passage of a Bill through the Commons as it is when approval is given to all amendments and to the Bill itself. After this stage, the Bill can be presented to the Lords.
- Streamline EU institutions
- Establish a permanent President of the European Council (as of 16 March 2010 held by Herman Van Rompuy)
- Establish the post of High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy (as of 16 March 2010 held by Catherine Ashton)
- Give new powers to the EU over justice and home affairs
- Remove the national veto in some areas such as energy security and emergency aid
-  David Miliband MP, House of Commons, 11 March 2008
-  BBC News Q&A: The Lisbon Treaty, 5 February 2010
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||3||176 (+2 tell)||0||93.8%|
|Lab||297 (+2 tell)||10||0||87.8%|
|Kenneth Clarke||Rushcliffe||Con (front bench)||aye|
|David Curry||Skipton and Ripon||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Ian Taylor||Esher and Walton||Con||aye|
|Jeremy Corbyn||Islington North||Lab||no|
|Ian Davidson||Glasgow South West||Lab (minister)||no|
|David Drew||Stroud||Lab (minister)||no|
|Roger Godsiff||Birmingham, Sparkbrook and Small Heath||Lab||no|
|Kate Hoey||Vauxhall||Lab (minister)||no|
|Kelvin Hopkins||Luton North||Lab (minister)||no|
|John Martin McDonnell||Hayes and Harlington||Lab||no|
|Dennis Skinner||Bolsover||Lab (minister)||no|
|David Taylor||North West Leicestershire||Lab (minister)||no|
|Mike Hancock||Portsmouth South||LDem (front bench)||no|
|Richard Younger-Ross||Teignbridge||LDem (front bench)||no|