Bank of England and Financial Services Bill — Banks Authorised to Issue Banknotes — 19 Apr 2016 at 17:45
Dominic Grieve MP, Beaconsfield voted against enabling the set of banks authorised to issue banknotes to expanded.
The majority of MPs voted against enabling the set of banks authorised to issue banknotes to expanded.
MPs were considering the Bank of England and Financial Services Bill.
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 4, in clause 36, page 34, line 15, at beginning insert—
- ‘( ) Subject to the provisions of subsection (3A).”
The amendment was accompanied by the following explanatory note:
- This amendment and amendment 5 would enable Lloyds Banking Group, the holder of the Bank of Wales trademark, to issue banknotes in Wales.
The amendment would have impacted Clause 36 of the Bill titled: Banks authorised to issue banknotes in Scotland and Northern Ireland. As it stood the Bill sought to restrict authorisations to issue bank notes to banks in the same group as those already authorised.
Section 3A would have been introduced by amendment 5 which was not the subject of this vote, that amendment stated:
- Clause 36, page 34, line 44, at end insert—
- “(3A) Regulations under subsection (1) must make provision authorising Lloyds. Banking Group to issue banknotes in Wales”.
Despite the title of the clause referring to "Scotland and Northern Ireland" it appears to apply to any parts of the UK specified in regulations made under it.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Bank of England and Financial Services Bill (now an Act)
-  Version of the Bill to which the amendment relates, PDF required for applicable page numbering.
-  Page of amendment paper containing this amendment
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||295 (+2 tell)||0||0||90.0%|
|SNP||0||43 (+2 tell)||0||83.3%|