Rail Investment and Integrated Rail Plan — 8 Dec 2021 at 20:21
The majority of MPs voted in favour of the northern rail investment plan, including three new high speed rail lines and upgrades to existing lines.
The motion supported by a majority of MPs in this vote was:
- That this House
- recognises the importance of rail investment to the UK economy and, in particular, the delivery of new lines linking Yorkshire, the North West, North East and Midlands;
- regrets the Government’s decision not to deliver new high speed investment, Northern Powerhouse Rail in full, and electrification covering communities across the North and Midlands;
- calls on the Government to deliver the new northern rail investment promised by the Prime Minister in full; and
- further calls on the Secretary of State for Transport to update the House in person before January 2022 on his Department’s benefit cost ratio analysis for the revised HS2 line.
The new northern rail investment referred to is probably that set out in the Government's Policy Paper: "Integrated Rail Plan for the North and Midlands" which included:
- * Three new high speed rail lines
- * Electrifying and upgrading two main lines
- * Upgrades the East Coast Main Line, including enabling increased speeds and installing better signalling.
The plan "confirmed" £96bn of spending.
-  Government Policy Paper: "Integrated Rail Plan for the North and Midlands", 18 November 2021, Gov.uk
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Lab||112 (+2 tell)||0 (+2 tell)||0||58.3%|
|Gill Furniss||Sheffield, Brightside and Hillsborough||Lab (minister)||tellno|
|Taiwo Owatemi||Coventry North West||Lab (minister)||tellno|