Police raid of MP's office — New committee to adjourn immediately — 8 Dec 2008 at 17:34
The majority of MPs voted in favour of the motion, which read:
- That, following the search of a Member's office in the Parliamentary Estate by the police and the seizure of material therein, a committee be appointed to review the internal processes of the House administration for granting permission for such action, and to make recommendations for the future;
- That the committee must not in any way prejudice any police inquiry or potential criminal proceedings and that therefore it will be adjourned immediately after choosing a chairman until the completion of any relevant inquiry or proceedings that may follow;
- That the committee have power to send for persons, papers and records; to report from time to time; to sit notwithstanding any adjournment of the House; and
- That the committee consist of seven members appointed by the Speaker reflecting the composition of the House.
This followed a previous vote narrowly rejecting an amendment to the motion.
-  Harriet Harman MP, House of Commons, 8 December 2008
-  Division 2, House of Commons Division, 8 December 2008
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||183 (+1 tell)||0||95.3%|
|Lab||292 (+2 tell)||19||0||89.4%|
|LDem||0||57 (+1 tell)||0||92.1%|
|Diane Abbott||Hackney North and Stoke Newington||Lab||no|
|Jeremy Corbyn||Islington North||Lab||no|
|David Drew||Stroud||Lab (minister)||no|
|Paul Farrelly||Newcastle-under-Lyme||Lab (minister)||no|
|Frank Field||Birkenhead||Lab (minister)||no|
|Mark Fisher||Stoke-on-Trent Central||Lab||no|
|Paul Flynn||Newport West||Lab (minister)||no|
|Ian Gibson||Norwich North||Lab (minister)||no|
|John Grogan||Selby||Lab (minister)||no|
|Dai Havard||Merthyr Tydfil and Rhymney||Lab (minister)||no|
|Kate Hoey||Vauxhall||Lab (minister)||no|
|Kelvin Hopkins||Luton North||Lab (minister)||no|
|Andrew MacKinlay||Thurrock||Lab (minister)||no|
|John Martin McDonnell||Hayes and Harlington||Lab||no|
|Gordon Prentice||Pendle||Lab (minister)||no|
|Alan Simpson||Nottingham South||Lab||no|
|David Winnick||Walsall North||Lab (minister)||no|