Learning and Skills Bill [H.L.] — 23 Mar 2000 at 20:00
Clause 114 [Assessments relating to learning difficulties]:
moved Amendment No. 6:
Page 52, line 40, leave out ("19") and insert ("25").
On Question, amendment agreed to.
moved Amendment No. 7:
After Clause 116, insert the following new clause--
:TITLE3:SEX EDUCATION: SECRETARY OF STATE'S GUIDANCE
(" .--(1) The Education Act 1996 shall be amended as follows.
(2) In section 403 (sex education: manner of provision) in subsection (1) for the words "and the value of family life" substitute ", the value of family life and sexual health".
(3) After section 403 insert--
"Sex education: Secretary of State's guidance.
403A.--(1) The Secretary of State must issue guidance designed to secure that the following general objectives are met when sex education is given to registered pupils at maintained schools.
(2) The general objectives are that the pupils--
(a) learn about the nature of marriage and its importance for family life and for the bringing up of children;
(b) learn the significance of marriage and stable relationships as key building blocks of community and society;
(c) learn to respect themselves and others;
(d) are given accurate information for the purposes of enabling them to understand difference and of preventing or removing prejudice;
(e) are protected from inappropriate teaching and materials.
(3) When sex education is given to pupils who are in the third or fourth key stage or over compulsory school age, the general objectives referred to in subsection (1) are to include the following additional objectives.
(4) The additional objectives are that the pupils--
(a) learn to understand human sexuality;
(b) learn the reasons for delaying sexual activity and the benefits to be gained from such delay;
(c) learn about obtaining appropriate advice on sexual health.
(5) The Secretary of State's guidance must also be designed to secure that sex education given to registered pupils at maintained schools contributes to--
(a) promoting the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of the pupils and of society;
(b) preparing the pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life.
(6) The Secretary of State may at any time revise his guidance.
(7) Local education authorities, governing bodies and head teachers must, in discharging their functions under section 403, have regard to the Secretary of State's guidance.
(8) In this section "maintained school" includes a community or foundation special school established in a hospital."").
moved, as an amendment to Amendment No. 7, Amendment No. 8:
Line 12, after ("marriage") insert ("as the key building block of society;").
On Question, Whether Amendment No. 8, as an amendment to Amendment No. 7, shall be agreed to?
Their Lordships divided: Contents, 190; Not-Contents, 175.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Content)||Minority (Not-Content)||Turnout|
|Con||145 (+2 tell)||2||66.8%|
|Lab||2||110 (+2 tell)||65.1%|
Includes lords who were absent (or abstained) from this vote.