Budget Resolution — Customs Duties — Goods from the European Union — 20 Nov 2017 at 21:03
The majority of MPs voted for goods from the European Union to be subject to new customs duties.
MPs were considering a motion stating:
- (a) provision may be made imposing and regulating a duty of customs chargeable by reference to the importation of goods into the United Kingdom,
- (b) provision may be made conferring power to impose and regulate a duty of customs chargeable by reference to the export of goods from the United Kingdom,
- (c) other provision may be made in relation to any duty of customs in connection with the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union, and
- (d) provision may be made dealing with subordinate matters incidental to any provision within any of paragraphs (a) to (c).
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- in paragraph (a), after “goods”, insert
- “other than goods originating from the European Union”.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||284 (+2 tell)||2||0||91.1%|
|Lab||18||28 (+2 tell)||0||18.5%|
|Kenneth Clarke||Rushcliffe||whilst Con (front bench)||aye|
|Anna Soubry||Broxtowe||whilst Con||aye|
|Paul Blomfield||Sheffield Central||Lab (minister)||no|
|Nick Brown||Newcastle upon Tyne East||Lab (minister)||no|
|Alan Campbell||Tynemouth||Lab (minister)||no|
|John Cryer||Leyton and Wanstead||Lab (minister)||no|
|Anneliese Dodds||Oxford East||Lab (minister)||no|
|Peter Dowd||Bootle||Lab (minister)||no|
|Barry Gardiner||Brent North||Lab (minister)||no|
|John Grogan||Keighley||Lab (minister)||no|
|Kevan Jones||North Durham||Lab (minister)||no|
|John Mann||Bassetlaw||Lab (minister)||no|
|Rachael Maskell||York Central||Lab (minister)||no|
|John Martin McDonnell||Hayes and Harlington||Lab (minister)||no|
|Alex Norris||Nottingham North||Lab||no|
|Fiona Onasanya||Peterborough||whilst Lab (front bench)||no|
|Jonathan Reynolds||Stalybridge and Hyde||Lab (minister)||no|
|Nick Smith||Blaenau Gwent||Lab (minister)||no|
|Mark Tami||Alyn and Deeside||Lab (minister)||no|