Energy Bill [HL] — 18 Mar 2004 at 16:20
moved Amendment No. 2:
Insert the following new Clause-
"ANNUAL REPORTS UNDER SECTION 1 OF THE SUSTAINABLE ENERGY ACT 2003
(1) In addition to the matters specified to be included in the annual reports required under section 1 of the Sustainable Energy Act 2003 (c. 30), the reports shall contain information on the development of new energy sources including, but without prejudice to the generality of those words, energy derived from-
(a) clean coal technology
(d) fuel cells
(f) wave and tidal generation
(h) microgeneration and
(j) geothermal sources.
(2) The information to be given shall describe any research, development and demonstration work done in the reporting period on each of the energy sources covered.
(3) The annual reports shall set out what is being done by the Government, by government agencies, by UK research establishments, by UK Universities and by industry to ensure that the UK retains and expands, if necessary, the scientific and engineering expertise and the resources to develop effectively sources of energy enabling the UK to avoid undue reliance on imports and if the decision is taken to develop any other energy source or technology, including nuclear, the UK will have the ability to do so.
(4) The annual reports shall set out what is being done by the Government, by government agencies, by UK research establishments, by UK Universities and by industry to ensure demand is reduced and efficiency is increased in UK energy supply.
(5) Information given under this section shall exclude any information for which commercial confidentiality, within the meaning of section 43 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (c. 36), is claimed and upheld.
(6) This section shall apply to any annual report published after the first day appointed by the Secretary of State under section 169(2) of this Act."
On Question, Whether the said amendment (No. 2) shall be agreed to?
Their Lordships divided: Contents, 110; Not-Contents, 82.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Content)||Minority (Not-Content)||Turnout|
|Con||65 (+2 tell)||0||32.2%|
|Lab||0||75 (+2 tell)||41.6%|
Includes lords who were absent (or abstained) from this vote.