Health and Social Care Bill 2011 — Independent Abortion Advice — 7 Sep 2011 at 14:00
Nicky Morgan MP, Loughborough voted to require independent advice be made available to women requesting an abortion.
The majority of MPs voted against a proposal to require independent advice be made available to women requesting an abortion.
The proposal was debated as the Health and Social Care Bill 2011 was being debated.
The text of the rejected amendment, number 1221, was:
- page 9, line 37, at end insert-
- ( ) After paragraph 8 insert-
- "Provision of independent information, advice and counselling services for women requesting a termination of pregnancy
- 8A (1) A local authority must make available to women requesting termination of pregnancy from any clinical commissioning group the option of receiving independent information, advice and counselling.
- (2) In this paragraph, information, advice and counselling are independent where they are provided by either-
- (a) a private body that does not itself refer, provide or have any financial interest in providing for the termination of pregnancies; or
- (b) a statutory body.’.-
The rejected amendment was proposed by Conservative MP Nadine Dorries.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Health and Social Care Bill
-  House of Commons Health and Social Care Bill 2011 Amendment Sheet for 7th September
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||114||93 (+2 tell)||1||68.6%|
|Lab||209 (+2 tell)||11||0||86.0%|