European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 5) Bill — Clause 1 — Directions for the Prime Minister — 3 Apr 2019 at 22:11
The majority of MPs voted to allow the Prime Minister to seek to delay the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union to any date, rather than just the date set by MPs.
MPs were considering the European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 5) Bill.
The amendment rejected by a majority of MPs in this vote was:
- Amendment No. 22, page 2, line 3, at end insert—
- “() Nothing in this section prevents a Minister of the Crown from seeking, or agreeing to, an extension of the period specified in Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union otherwise than in accordance with this section.”
The rejected amendment was accompanied by the following explanatory statement:
- This amendment ensures that the Bill does not limit the powers that a Minister of the Crown would otherwise have to seek, or agree to, an extension of the Article 50(3) period.
The Bill required a motion to be put to the House of Commons of the form:
- “That this House agrees for the purposes of section 2 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2019 to the Prime Minister seeking an extension of the period specified in Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union to a period ending on […]”
and provided that:
- the Prime Minister must seek an extension of the period specified in Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union to a period ending on the date included in that motion.
The rejected amendment sought to weaken requirement placed on the Prime Minister by the Bill.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||87||208 (+2 tell)||4||96.2%|
|Lab||231 (+2 tell)||3||0||95.9%|